13th century castle built by the Clan Lamont and was their 'stronghold' until 1646 when the infamous Campbell seige occured.
This is the remains of the 'Keep' or tower at Toward castle. Under the hump is the 13th century vault. The original Hall would have been at the level of the 'hump' and above that (the window) would have been the accommodation for the Clan Chief and family.
Inside Toward castle
This is a view from the remains of the tower looking at the entrance.
The entrance was 'enhanced' for the visit of Mary Queen of Scots.
To the left of the entrance was the Guard house and to the right of the entrance was a chapel, Mary probably prayed here.
Toward castle modifications
The arch to the right of this picture(behind the tree) is the kitchen that was enlarged for Mary and her entourage. The larger room next to it was her dining area. The last smaller room 'may have' been her Bedroom.
The arch on the right would have been Queen Mary's kitchen fireplace. The remains of a baking cupboard can still be found in the wall of the fireplace